As a father of a young family I know the problems facing today’s parents and family’s, especially those growing up in towns with rapidly expanding populations and the rural areas surrounding them. The majority of these areas do not have the necessary infrastructure like schools, playgrounds, youth centres, etc.
I am honored to represent my community following my election to Westmeath County Council at the local elections in June 2009. As somebody who lives in this area, and who has been a community activist, involved in various organisations I can guarantee you, that I will work tirelessly to advance the many issues and causes which I know are of concern to you.
In the last ten years Kinnegad and East Westmeath for example has been passed up for tax designation, town renewal, a business park, secondary school, library, fire service, increased Garda provision, and for any significant infrastructure. Before my election to the Council I have worked voluntarily to represented the people of east Mullingar:
• I have helped to prevent a super dump being built in the Kinnegad-Killucan area.
• I have been part of a community council that has put in place a new park, a playground, a seven acre recreational site, pedestrian crossing, and a range of visual improvements for the area;
• I have been part of a committee that has had a feasibility study completed for Killucan railway station and I am now working with Irish Rail to make that a reality;
• I have served on Westmeath VEC making educational improvements for the children and teenagers of this area, and I am working with the VEC to have a secondary school built in Kinnegad;
• I have compiled all the Local Notes and other news stories to make sure this area features significantly in the Westmeath Examiner. I have also represented the area on many radio news programmes.
I am now chair of the Transport SPC as well as Westmeath Heritage Forum where I will work to improve the quality of life in our county.
I give the people of Mullingar East and Westmeath this commitment. I will work for the good of the area, for its full development and for provision of local amenities. As your representative on the County Council I will be available and accountable to you for the next five years. If you think you can help me in local campaigns in any way please phone 0876430783, email leno at indigo.ie.
Thank you for reading this and I hope we can work together for the future of our area.
Cllr Denis LeonardThe Labour Party
- Home Address:
- Trim Road